Course summary

Students studying Geography at A level follow the new Edexcel specification. The course includes elements of physical, human and environmental geography with a strong emphasis placed on Geographical skills such as fieldwork and data collection.

The course offers a mix of traditional Geography along with new, fresh cutting edge topics. Geography at A level is extremely topical and incudes many current affairs/world issues which requires a good understanding and knowledge of politics, economics and science.

How will I be assessed?

Assessment is through a mixture of examinations and one coursework project. The three examinations will account for 80% of the overall A level with the Non Examined Assessment (coursework) coving the remaining 20%.

How is the course delivered?

Teachers in the department specialise in either Human or Physical Geography and deliver units in each of their specialist areas. Therefore each group is taught by two different teachers.

Outside of the classroom the course is delivered through several fieldtrips, including a mixture of day trips and residential visits.

Is this course suitable for me?

The course is modern and focuses on issues that will be important to life in the 21st century. It will be suitable for people who enjoy issues and debates in our world today, understanding why our planet has such varied environments and look forward to visiting some of the best landscapes in Britain and abroad.

What are the mandatory modules, units or themes?

(What will I have to study?)

1. Tectonic Processes and Hazards

2. Coastal Landscapes and Change

3. Globalisation

4. Regenerating Places

5. The Water Cycle and Water Insecurity

6. The Carbon Cycle and Carbon Insecurity

7. Superpowers

8. Migration, Identity and Sovereignty

Fieldwork is compulsory element of the course. Students can expect to have field trips to the West Midlands, Derby City Centre, a local rural environment and The Holderness Coast in Yorkshire.

Assessment includes a mix of short structured questions as well as longer, more detailed answers. Some questions are based on resource booklets and many questions require students to think synoptically drawing on all of their knowledge from across the course.

What can I do after this course?

An A level in Geography is considered by Universities as a ‘facilitating subject’ meaning it

is highly regarded and sought after and recognised by universities as suitable for any degree course.

What careers would this course be useful for?

Statistics from The Royal Geographic Society show that Geography graduates are amongst the most employable. The main careers are in management, administration, finance, mapping and tourism.

Who can I contact for more information?

Mr I Walters