Chellaston Academy Study Programme 2020-2021
At Chellaston Academy we pride ourselves on providing a broad range of Academic and Vocational qualifications for our students. In addition to the more traditional A Level courses that we run, we also offer an exciting range of BTEC and Cambridge Technical qualifications, all of which are suitable and substantial qualifications that stretch students and prepare them for education at the next level or for employment.
For a complete list of the courses we will offer from September 2021, including the introduction of EPQ or Core Maths for all of our Year 12 students, please visit our new prospectus which can be found here.
English and Maths
We use 100% of the 16 to 19 tuition fund we receive from the ESFA on staffing costs to provide the following support.
For those students who have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 4 in English and maths, we provide a bespoke package of support to help them achieve these important grades.
This programme includes, but is not limited to,
- Small group tutorials with subject specialists. These are lessons added to the normal timetable with a maths or English teacher focusing on the key skills required to achieve a grade 4.
- A dedicated subject specific mentor who is the point of contact for all support from the department.
- Invitation to intervention sessions tailored carefully to the subject specific weakness of each student.
- Complete access to all Year 11 revision materials including remote webinars, additional revision sessions, walking talking mocks and exam papers.
The current global pandemic has made our work experience offer more challenging this year, however, we remain committed to providing our students with meaningful encounters with the world of work.
Subsequently, we have recently launched our Alumni Careers Talks. These involve ex-Chellaston students coming back to lead a virtual working lunch with our students discussing a certain career or their future since leaving Chellaston Academy. They discuss the different routes into certain professions, the skills required to be successful, perhaps provide “a day in the life of” and offer opportunities for any questions that our students may have.
Whilst we know, these can never really replace what high quality face to face work experience can offer, we believe that they broaden our students’ minds as to what opportunities there are in the real world. If you feel you have anything to offer, be you Chellaston alumni or not, please email us
Non Qualification Activity
We are incredibly proud of the enrichment and development opportunities we offer our students.
- Student senior leadership team
- KS5 prefects and team meetings (wellbeing or subject focused) including mentoring for The Chellaston Charter
- House competitions across a range of subjects
- School Council (form representatives)
- Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- Chellaston Alumni Talks
- Subject clinics within curriculum areas.
- Senior Maths Challenge
- Medicine Programme and Oxbridge Programme tailored to those students aiming at achieving places on Medicine course, or applying to Oxford or Cambridge Universities
- Mini-Medical Interviews (MMIs)
- Access to full school gym
- School performances and productions
- Extended work experience opportunities
- A range of charitable activities
- Cultural visits
- Business interviews
- Subject specific reading lists
We also provide a rich curriculum of student development through form time where we focus on students’ character, broader skills, attitudes and confidence, all supporting progression to whatever next step a student wants to take. This includes personal finance, mental health support and important elements of PSHE education.